Help Us Build the Bathhouse!
Great progress has been made on the new bathhouse!
Click to enlarge
The most urgent need at East Boston Camps is for bathroom and sanitary facilities that meet the local building codes. The old bathhouse was condemned and demolished last year, and the lack of bathroom facilities is a huge obstacle for current and new programs at the camps. We are committed to rebuilding a bathhouse that will benefit everyone who comes to East Boston Camps!
"Building this bathhouse is the most important step that can be taken to improve the experience of visitors to the many events that take place at the Camps," according to Denise Brunelle, President of the Friends Board of Directors.
Significant progress has been made:
- On Monday April 4, 2011, at the request of the Friends and the East Boston Camps Advisory Committee, the Westford Planning Board allocated $30,000 from existing mitigation funds towards construction of a new bathhouse on the Camps' property.
- Our fundraising efforts have raised an additional $125,000
- We were awarded a $100,000 grant from the Cummings Foundation
- The Friends commissioned plans and specifications for a new bathhouse that suits the needs of the Camps and have successfully demolished the condemned bathhouse to make way for the new one
- Construction is planned for completion in Spring 2016
Construction of the new bathhouse is critical to the ongoing use of this property by the public in general and by overnight guests and campers in particular. Fees generated by these uses will permit the East Boston Camps property to be less dependent on Town funds for the costs inherent in maintaining 300 acres of land and 38 buildings.
We need your help!