Since 2007, the Westford Friends of East Boston Camps have been pursuing a systematic effort to raise the funds needed to restore, preserve and protect the Camps area and buildings. Starting with the Dining Hall, the Friends have restored or rehab’d. xx buildings. (See list below).
In 2019, after finishing the restoration of the infirmary and the landscaping for the new bathhouse, our new project focus is on Nashoba Lodge
The Lodge needs some significant renovation to allow it to be used to its full advantage. The building has a spacious interior with a large granite fireplace and it’s a wonderful place for:
- Indoor game playing
- Educational use for the 5th Grade Camp, scouts and other student groups
- Educational events for conservation and local wildlife
- Gathering place after trail walks
- Event space
The granite fireplace is in need of considerable work, some outside siding needs to be replaced and a number of other upgrades are required, including adding ADA ramp access. The Lodge is insulated so once it’s renovated it will be suitable for multi-seasonal use.
Accomplishments so far:
Here is a list of the projects that the Westford Friends of EBC, with the help and support of local scouting organizations, contractors, volunteer residents and school community service projects, have completed:
- Renovated Infirmary completed in 2019, including new bathroom, ADA compliance.
- Bathhouse landscaping completed in 2019.
- New bathhouse completed and opened in 2017. Over $285,000 was raised by the Friends of EBC for this critical project
- Renovations to the inside of the duplex
- Kitchen, dining and health facilities improved to meet building and health code standards
- New roof installed for the kitchen and dining hall
- Handicap ramps installed on the dining hall and infirmary
- Restroom in the dining hall updated
- New bunk beds in sleeping cabins
- Refaced the basketball court
- Built 2 new fire pits
- Installed new benches at the boys and girls beaches
- Replenished sand at the boys beach
- Painted nurses cabin, cooks cabin, Caretaker’s Workshop and some sleeping cabins
- Provided handicap ramp to one of the sleeping cabins
- Installed new benches at the day beach
- Added new picnic tables and trash bins at the day beach
- Contributed to the renovation and painting of the duplex
- Installed new gate on the main road
Working to preserve Westford’s natural treasure & continue the camping tradition at East Boston Camps